Last Thursday was not a normal class
for us in Mr. Browns English 111 class, instead we did something pretty fun and
went down in front of the library to listen to a variety of people talk about their
life. The people that I had the pleasure to listen to were about the army life,
Vietnam veteran, and people of color. First off I listened to the army life.
The man was I believe 19 years old and told us he just got back from training,
and was over there for a pretty long time. He started off by telling us about
their training and how miserable it is. He said the main thing they try to do
is to break your mind and try to get you out of the “civilian” mind set and to
get you to your “war” mindset. Basically he was telling us that they work them
into the ground and just keep pushing and pushing you until you want to quit. They
also give you certain duties you have to do such as do something in a certain amount
of time or else you would get punished, which most of the stuff they told you
to do was impossible he said. He kept telling us though that it is totally
worth doing because it teaches you lots of life lessons and makes you
appreciate everything you have and some things you didn’t realize.
The next person I talked to was the
Vietnam veteran. He was in the navy for 3 years I believe and began in 1969. His
duty was part of the nuclear weapons such as missiles and things like that. One
type of missiles he talked about was the underwater ones that go after
submarines. To me I thought that was pretty cool. He told us that the missiles
travel under water within a mile radius and go as deep as 50 feet from the
bottom. He also kept telling us like the first man I talked to that he
encourages everyone to join the military.
The last person I talked to was the
man of color. You might have seen him walking around the halls of delta before.
He is a well-dressed man that’s always in a suit and is covered with tattoos. He
might look intimidating at first but once you talk to him he is a really nice
guy. He started off part time here at delta teaching and built his resume up to
become a full time teacher. I believe he has been teaching for over 10 years
here. That shows you that it’s not about what the exterior of a person looks
like but what there are like on the inside and have the willingness to work
hard.
The time that we spent down there
listening to those people was a cool experience. Just getting out of the
classroom and doing something different was the cool thing. Plus you get to
learn about different people with different backgrounds and experiences.
No comments:
Post a Comment